Recommended System Requirements:
- CPU: Core2 Duo 2.66Ghz 1066Mhz FSB
- L2 Cache: 4MB
- RAM: 16GB DDR or RDRAM
- Video: 1280x1024 512MB, full support for DirectX 9
- Mouse: Scroll Mouse
- Storage: 50GB free storage (average 6,000–8,000 jobs)
- Supported Operating Systems:
Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit
Note: Testing has determined that meeting or exceeding these recommended system requirements will provide the designer with improved software performance across a broad range of file sizes.
Tips on Buying a New Computer:
When considering a new computer system to run Javelin® software, here are some points to think about:
- Processor: Processors have the biggest overall impact on the performance of Javelin software. Select the best processor you can afford. In general, it is better to select a processor with:
o Higher maximum clock speeds - at least 2.93 GHz with automatic overclocking like Turbo Boost or Turbo Core technologies
o Larger amounts of shared cache - at least 4MB
o Integrated Memory Controllers
o Compatibility with faster memory - DDR3 1066 MHz or faster 13 of 15
o 2 or more cores
o Recommended Desktop Processors
- Intel: Any of the models in the i5, i7 and i7 Extreme families. Models in the Xeon family including E5520 - E5645, W3520 - W5590 and X5550 – X6550.
- AMD: Phenom II X4 945, Phenom II X4 955, Phenom II X4 965
o Recommended Mobile Processors: Intel i7-620M, i7-720QM, i7-740QM, i7-820QM, i7-840QM, i7-920XM and i7-940XM or AMD equivalents.
Notes: Multi-core processors may help improve performance when running multiple applications in addition to Javelin software. In newer processors with Turbo Boost like the i5 and i7 series of processors from Intel, you may experience better performance from Javelin software by disabling some of the processor cores and running the active cores at higher clock speeds. Hyper Threading technology can enhance the performance of Javelin software.
- RAM: In general you want to buy the fastest RAM you can afford which is compatible with your processor. At least 16 GB is recommended for systems using 64-bit versions of Windows 10 operating systems.
- Operating Systems (32-bit versus 64-bit): Designers who work mostly on single family residential projects in the 3,000 SqFt – 4000 SqFt range (4MB or less file size) probably do not have a pressing need for a 64-bit operating system. Designers who regularly work on large custom homes (12,000 SqFt or greater), multi-family and light commercial projects (file sizes of 10MB or greater) would benefit significantly from a 64-bit operating system.
Note: Before deciding to purchase a 64-bit operating system, you should consider the 64-bit compatibility of other programs you need to run, your company’s IT Policies, and the availability of drivers for your printers and plotters which are 64 bit compatible.
- Video Card: In general it is best to avoid integrated graphics and select a professional graphics card that:
o Supports multiple monitors
o Has at least 512MB of dedicated video memory
o Fully supports DirectX 9
o Intended for use with CAD applications
Cards based on the NVIDIA Quadro series or ATI FirePro series are intended for use with CAD programs. High-end graphics cards may be a worthwhile investment for a designer who regularly works on large custom homes, multi-family and light commercial projects to improve “Plan View” navigation performance.
- Hard Drive: Hard drive upgrades (for example, 10,000 RPM SATA drives) may help reduce the time to load or save a job, but provide little overall improvement to Javelin software performance for most users.
Weyerhaeuser Software Support